Music club.. you know the drill

Perfect song for the workplace lol

I loved their first album, but got bored with them as time went on.

There rise to stardom was pretty much an accident, worth researching sometime whoever is interested.

Yeah, that was one happy accident for them although Iā€™m not much of a fan of the 3 dollar bill album. Iā€™m going to get a scotch and spam this a bit more.

1 Like

One of my favourites.

2 Likes

ā€¦and Iā€™ll bow out.

2 Likes

PUNK ROCK 20 Char Thang

2 Likes

Ever see the movie SLC Punk @Tanwax ? Excellent soundtrack in it:

tenor%20(8)

Edit: I just realized each video above will go through the entire soundtrack playlist. And I learned something today. :thinking:

2 Likes

and%20now

How about some old skool hip hop?

Some 90s rap with a comedy twist:

4 Likes

On the subject of Timberlake, funny how back in the school days, him and all the other boy bands were the subject of so many jokes.

Years later, I appreciate how talented he actually is. One of my favorites:

2 Likes

I love the history of raps really well done and very funny

Love this

2 Likes

:rofl:

I missed that one, thanks for sharing it. Nice change of pace from my usual lunch time entertainment.

Winnepesauki makes me think of:

what-about-bob

But I digressā€¦

1 Like

Not a big fan of rap I fail to see the art in it.

Nice I like it thanks for sharing

1 Like

Anyone watch the movie?

4 Likes
2 Likes

Alright @Magic, now youā€™ve gone and done itā€¦

EPIC RAP BATTLES OF HISTORY!!!

(Was going to post Freddie Mercury vs Frank Sinatra, but thought it may be a little too inappropriate for this forum, Freddie rules!)

4 Likes

Not yet, itā€™s on my list to watch. Kind of like the big stack of books I have yet to readā€¦

Heard it was very good.

I used to feel that way to, and made all kinds of jokes at itā€™s expense. (Always appreciated a good beat though.) Also used to mute the TV when the ā€œjamsā€ would come on between rock videos on MTV. (Some might read this and think, MTV played videos, what?! :exploding_head: :rofl:)

I think some of it was that I used to group all of it together as the same thing, which is so far from the truth, like any genre. Canā€™t call of metal or country rock the same thing either.

It changed one day when a buddy of mine, Chavas, broke it down for me. When hip hop started, people were doing what they could with what they had. Not all, but many were poor and couldnā€™t afford instruments. 99.9% of people are born with a mouth, so thatā€™s where it started. Lyrics with melody. Some rappers are know for using iambic pentameter for their flows, yup Shakesperean style. Then thereā€™s beat boxing: beats, sound effects and ā€œinstrumentsā€ all done with one mouth. Most people had record players and classic albums, the player could play beats to be sampled and make scratching sounds to a rhythm. A group of guys could get together with a turntable, another beat boxing, and another spitting lyrics. (Sometimes a drum set and bass guitar used instead.)

Donā€™t like that beats were sampled from classic songs? I used to think of it more like theft, not true. (most of the time, Ice Ice you know the rest aside) Another way to look at it though is paying homage to them. A lot of these guys and gals grew up with these tunes and had a lot of respect for them. Like the Isley Brothers, James Brown, Ann Peebles, so on.

Lastly, content. Not everything is about money and drugs or whatever. Although that did happen because, well, it was profitable. Hip hop started out being more about every day life, the good and bad times. Certain parts of that are just more profitable for the big record labels, and they exploit it.

I look at true, honest hip hop as more of a form of poetry, set to a beat.It certainly can be and has been.

Making due with what you have:
Early blues artists did the same thing. My understanding is that Buddy Guy built his first guitar out of a screen door. Thatā€™s some ingenuity. Many of the sound effects we use on guitars today with a fancy pedal were made from scratch by people like Jimi Hendrix.

This isnā€™t directed squarely at you, I promise. No hard feelings or ill will here, bud. This is more of history lesson for anyone who will read it. I have no intention of changing your mind, only presenting some information to challenge our perception of things. I do that a lot, and with many subjects. I just felt the same way for a long time and looking back, I feel like I was missing out.

ā€œAnd if you donā€™t know, now ya know.ā€

1 Like

The Beastie Boys. They defy a genre, from Jazz to Punk to Straight Rap. To listen to their catalogue is just a trip. They were pioneers. No Beastie Boysā€¦no Public Enemy. I think they were certainly one of the first acts signed to Def Jam under Rick Rubinā€™s guidance. I respect that man so much. Anyway Iā€™m not trying to argue about music just spread the enjoyment. Talking of whichā€¦how about thisā€¦

1 Like

If you donā€™t like the songā€¦at least love the video!

3 Likes