The Space Thread - Discussing all things space!

thats unbelievable… yeah ill have a look thanks .

3 Likes

Oh it’s wild stuff, I literally can’t wait. They already launched the first two test satellites back in Feb and they’re doing well.They’re already doing revisions to improve them too. First ones going up will be on the Falcon 9 then the version 2’s will be headed up on the Super Heavy Starship.

1 Like

how did i miss this thread …

thankyou for posting

@BegaMutex if my family would allow me to go and we had the tech for stasis … yes i would definitely go

the space x rockets landing was an awe inspiring moment , it just proved what musk is all about … getting it done

3 Likes

Well one thing is the post in the Non ETN discussion don’t pop up on the latest post area so you have to come manually check it frequently.

Watching the boosters land side by side blew my mind! I got goosebumps just watching it. They’ve taken rocketry to the next level and keep on making things better. The new block 5’s are amazing.

2 Likes

at first i was like whoa thats the best cgi ive seen then i realised it was real…

mind blown when the landing legs came out and touch down i was speechless , this truly is the future

amazing footage

5 Likes

this just shows how small our planet really is , the sun is huge

2 Likes

We are indeed tiny I think often people don’t realize how small. This is a short clip with Carl Sagan speaking and it always hits me. Just an incredible speech, he’ll always be missed.

2 Likes

really i though it was in the years … definitely been in those queues at disney hahaha …

Sorry deep vein thrombosis would be the only thing that stopped me from saying yes.
Im 100% Astrotraveller !!
:chipmunk::chipmunk:

3 Likes

I haven’t seen that, I’ll have to check it out for sure, ty for sharing @BegaMutex

1 Like

SpaceX is targeting Friday, January 11 for the launch of 10 Iridium NEXT satellites from Space Launch Complex 4E (SLC-4E) at Vandenberg Air Force Base in California. This is the eighth and final set of satellites in a series of 75 total satellites that SpaceX will launch for Iridium’s next generation global satellite constellation, Iridium NEXT.

The instantaneous launch opportunity is at 7:31 a.m. PST, or 15:31 UTC, and the satellites will begin deployment approximately an hour after launch.

Falcon 9’s first stage for the Iridium-8 mission previously supported the Telstar 18 VANTAGE mission in September 2018. Following stage separation, SpaceX will attempt to land Falcon 9’s first stage on the “Just Read the Instructions” droneship, which will be stationed in the Pacific Ocean.

3 Likes

This guy also does great live streams for launches in general, not just Spacex. Live chat is also enabled on his streams to talk to people and he explains how launches and rockets work etc. He does a great job and deserves some subs.

4 Likes

Cerns gonna be huge if they build this beast !!!

2 Likes

First steps towards colonization.

3 Likes

That’s amazing Chris and they will discover crazy new particles I bet, can’t wait to see it come to life.

1 Like

I was reading about this yesterday it’s amazing and I’m really happy to see the moon getting attention again. That probe was huge being the first ever craft to land on the far side of the moon. It’s so important they learn how to do agriculture in zero g. I just love seeing all of this happening and all the incredible research also being done on the ISS.

There’s also a moonbase being planned too although it’s in it’s early stages though.

https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2018/05/bezos-will-work-with-nasa-esa-to-create-moon-base.html

3 Likes

I’m sure I read something that the Chinese rover has seeds in it ? And they’ve sprouted … can’t remember where I saw it.

Moonbase … just those 2 words sound so cool moon base … love it thanks

3 Likes

You’re welcome and @CaptainMarvel just posted a link to the story on that above my post. It’s great to see and all of this will play a crucial role in colonizing Mars too.

The moon is such a key player in that, one big goal is lunar manufacturing and rocket launches since the vehicles won’t need to break through the Earths atmosphere. It’ll yet again long term great reduce launch cost once we do that. The moon will make a great launch pad for rocket launches to other planets. Also we can build fuel depots up there too.

3 Likes

When humans colonize(large scale) other planets , if they want to send money from one planet to another imagine them using a crypto for interstellar transactions and there would be like thousands of satellites like blockstream.
Hoping to see crypto usage in space in the not-so -distant future.

3 Likes

Well I bet that will come, but I think the one to succeed in doing this before all will Starlink from Spacex. They’re already well ahead of all the competition too since they can launch it all from their own rockets too.

Also they got FCC approval earlier this year to proceed, two test satellites already went up which are doing great and new versions are also in the works. In the end the total satellite constellation will be around 12k satellites in low earth orbit which are supposed to be capable of 1 gbps speeds. Elons goal is to have at least 50% of all web traffic running through Starlink.

Oh I wanted to add since someone asked about all this on Twitter, Elon said the 1st satellites will go up on the block 5 Falcon 9s and the version 2 satellites on the Super Heavy Starship.

Also you can bet Starlink will be used around Mars as well for planetary communications, yep internet on Mars!

2 Likes