MY ETN HOLIDAY SEASON EVENT to Start in December

Is this actual object or photoshop

New challenge is up and challenge it is indeed. Enjoy folks I am starting to run out of ideas
 NOT Bwahahahaha we are just getting the party started!!!

1 Like

Would be cool if it was real

1 Like

Wow! Toughy is right! Only one day for this one? Well, I’ll give it a go.

1. Holiville is full of elderberries, so this drink and food is based on them
    Drink: The Holiville Hawker
  • 2 1/2 oz Vodka
  • 1 1/2 oz elderberry liquor
  • Splash of sour, like lemon
  • some basil
  • Top remaining with fresh squeezed grapefruit juice and top with grapefruit slice

Food: Holiville Cabbage Surprise

• 2 pounds red cabbage
  • 3/4 cup Vinegar
  • 2/3 Cup elderberry juice
  • 5 oz sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
    Shred cabbage and add to a pan with the vinegar. Simmer 30 mins. Add the juice, sugar, and salt. Simmer another 30 mins or until cabbage is consistency you like it. Serve or fill and jar and refrigerate.
  1. Tradition: The Holiville Haircut
    As each person arrives on the island (obviously to enjoy the food and drink) a small lock of their hair will be cut off and stashed in the Holiville Holiday Box. At the end of the year, all the Holiville Hair will be strung/hung on the Holiville Holiday Tree in celebration of all who arrived that year. Each year new arrivals’ hair will be added to the old, and the tradition will continue. Each year the tree will get harrier and harrier.

2. Ok, tried @wTz1 drink and glad you were making it up! Whiskey and OJ are not a good combination, imo :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: BUT the (extra) jalapeno slices helped it a wee bit. Going to use the jalapeno idea in some other drinks that I shake up and see how they turn out. Thanks for that idea. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

(Apologize in advance for elderberries being hard to find and so recipe maybe difficult to make. I collect LOTS of elderberries so always have juice and berries on hand. I have seen Elderberry juice and/or syrup at health food stores.)

Happy Holiville, all!!

5 Likes

In the heads up I gave 48 hours to complete the challenge.

1 Like

I did notice, and good. I need the time to complete it. Busy, busy, busy!

:heart: I’m going to try this one for Christmas :+1:

1 Like

Thats a work of art with the elderberries

Enough to inspire a teatotaller to say simply WoW!
:heart::heart:

1 Like
  1. Food: Caramel Apple Bread Pudding
    6 slices of day old bread
    4 eggs, beaten
    2 cups of Half & Half
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 tsp nutmeg
    2 tbsps butter
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    1/4 cup maple syrup
    Preheat oven to 350°
    Toast bread about 10 minutes or until golden brown.
    Whisk eggs, half & half, sugar, nutmeg, vanilla.
    Crumble bread into egg mixture. Let soak.
    Melt butter over medium heat. Sauté apples with brown sugar, caramel, and cinnamon, until apples are tender.
    Mix most of the sautéed apples into the bread and egg mixture. Add it to a greased baking dish.
    Then add remaining apple mixture on top. Bake 45 minutes to 1 hour.
    Once baked drizzle maple syrup over it and enjoy.

Drink: Shrunken Head Apple Cider
2 cups lemon juice
2 tbsps coarse salt
8 large Granny Smith (Green) Apples
32 whole cloves
2 gallons of apple cider
2 cans Frozen Lemonade Concentrate, thawed
2 Cups spiced rum (or moread depending on how potent you want it)
1 tsp vanilla extract
Preheat oven at 250°
Line baking sheet with parchment paper then set aside.
In Medium bowl mix lemon juice and salt and then set aside.
Peel apples and cut each in half, remove seeds and core.
Using a sharp pairing knife carve face, as desired, on rounded side of each apple.
Place apples in lemon juice for 1 minute and then place on a paper towels to drain.
Place apples face side up on prepared baking sheet and put in oven. Let bake until apples are dry and begin to brown around the edges. (About 90 minutes)
Remove apples from baking sheet and add a clove to each “eye” socket.
Combine cider, lemonade, rum, and vanilla. Add shrunken heads and enjoy.

1. Holiday Island’s Ancestors used Voodoo on their foes and would shrink their heads and then hang them from trees. By hanging the shrunken heads from the trees it warned their enemies what would happen to them if they tried to hurt the village community. The heads also were trophy like symbols to the villagers. They would drink and be merry while dancing, eating and admiring the shrunken head decorated trees.
    So now, on my Holiday Island, the community will honor our ancestors by doing almost the same!
    It is required that each household participating in the celebration make their own Caramel Apple Bread Pudding and their own Pot (or pots depending on how much u wanna drink) :wink: of Shrunken Head Apple Cider.
    The whole community is to meet up in the town square by 6pm and begin drinking, eating, dancing, and socializing. Every time a pot of Apple Cider is empty each person is to hang their shrunken head from any of the trees in the community.

2. I made the cranberry orange drink. It was very tart but the orange juice helped with sweetness. It reminded me of a fruit smoothie with the crushed ice in it. As a Holiville resident I would say yes this is a good drink to have. Plus super easy to make and I can add any alcohol to it and enjoy it!!!

4 Likes

NO challenge today as yesterday’s is still in effect! Congrats to @Jernej whom won 500 ETN today! Way to go!!

3 Likes

So good!
Especially the shrunken heads part.
Down here they simply point the bone!
Im going to launch right into that cider recipe!
Thankyou!
:heart::heart:

1 Like

Yep I love what I am reading, hopefully the extra day will get others involved :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you @Thunder :grinning:

2 Likes

DAY FOURTEEN/ FIFTEEN DAY CHALLENGE: Challenge Difficulty: Medium (I will add difficulty level each day going forward from today> E= Easy M=Medium H=Hard O=Outrageous)

Post your answers to this challenge on the forum here.

You are the sole owner of Holiday Island where everyone from Holiville (where you used to live) goes to enjoy the holidays now thanks to your massive holiday efforts over the years. This is where they can sit back and enjoy what you have created for them. You must come up with three separate mini challenges that make the whole challenge come together as one. This should be the most challenging day to date, we shall see whom answers the call!!!

You must offer a food and a drink recipe that no one in Holiville has ever heard of before (be creative and post the recipe(s) here)

No Bake cookies
INGREDIENTS
1 3/4 cups white sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup butter
4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup crunchy peanut butter
3 cups quick-cooking oats
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
DIRECTIONS
In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, milk, butter, and cocoa. Bring to a boil, and cook for 1 1/2 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in peanut butter, oats, and vanilla. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto wax paper. Let cool until hardened.
DRINK recipe Cranberry orang drink.

1. 8 oz. orange juice
  2. 8 oz. Cranberry juice
  3. 4 oz. crushed Ice
    Directions:
    In a 32 OZ. glass add Ice Pour both juices in the glass. Stir with a spoon.

Drink and enjoy.

You must create a tradition (some form of entertainment ideally) that everyone coming to the island must do or be involved in,(as if it were real) that also does not currently exist anywhere in the world. Explain how it works and why they celebrate what ever holiday you create!

Tree fest: is the holiday
The citizens of the island must plant a tree upon arrival in the tree park.
Once a year the citizens gather in the tree park and stand in front of the tree that they planted and partake in eating a no bake cookie and drinking of the juice.
They started this tradition to determine who has been on the island the longest and the eldest leads the island council.
and finally,

You must attempt to make a recipe that someone else has posted here, playing the role of the average Holiville citizen, and report back with your findings and thoughts on how it turned out.

I made Food: Caramel Apple Bread Pudding as I am allergic to elderberries the ones around here contain arsenic . I actually had to have removed from the property.
I had an issue with shrunken head.
I made the cranberry orange drink

This will have a BONUS amount of ETN given to the one that best shows how they do / create these things. It will be a considerable amount more than the regular 500 (if you needed motivation you now have it) It will be of an undisclosed amount and given out on Christmas Day by me personally. It will be GLORIOUS!!!

I will be ABSOLUTELY watching to see who participates (more so in this challenge then any other) and be taking notes for when I send my Holiday ETN out (hint hint)

2 Likes

Best I can do with my limited time today.

Wattsy’s Saag Aloo Paneer Balti. (this will rely on you having a continental store for massallas or you can google them if you are all clever and kitcheny).

Sorry, I can’t do imperial measurements.

750g baby potatoes.
1kg Red onions
1 large spanish onion.
1 Cinnamon stick
2 tsp Garam masalla
1 tbsp of Balti masalla.
1 small chunk of ginger (about the size of a standard dice).
2 tsp Ground Paprika
1 tsp Ground chilli powder.
1 tbsp Turmeric
2 tbsp Marjoram.
Fresh coriander.
Half a bulb of Garlic
Big bag of spinach ( or a large can)
1 bottle of red wine.
Four chillis, nothing too hot unless you’re mad.
1 pack of paneer (200g is good).
650ml single cream.
4 cold beers.
Salt.
Black Pepper.
two vegetable stock cubes.
2 cans of tomatoes, buy the best you can.
1 tbsp of tomato paste.
200g Mushrooms
Three ‘salad’ peppers

My method:

Open beer number one and start to drink (it’s what proper chefs do)

Use a nice big stock pot.

Boil around a litre of water adding a tsp of rock salt and about half a tsp of pepper, just guess it will be fine and throw in the stock cubes,.

Peel and add all of the onions and Garlic (top tip if you don’t already know use the flat of your knife to squash the garlic then the skin comes of really easily,) and throw in a chilli and the ginger.
Get a sieve and balance it in the pan and place the cinnamon stick in there. (they are a right B~@~: to find later on!

Boil for about an hour until everything has gone soft and finish of that beer. Pass your time on the forum chatting.

Remove the sieve and cinnamon stick and chuck it away.

Open beer number two.

Throw in both cans of tomatoes and the tomato paste. Add the chilli,turmeric, paprika, garam massalla and balti massalla, chuck in half a bottle of red wine and the marjoram.

Take off the heat for ten mins, then using a hand blender blitz it until smooth.

Finish beer two.

Open beer three, chop all of your ingredients you have left up except the potatoes and the cheese.

Chuck everything in except the paneer and leave it to simmer for around 45 mins.

Chat on the forum some more.

Slice the paneer into cubes and fry on a high heat quickly until they start to slightly brown and throw them in the big pot.

Take off heat and stir in single cream to your preference less or more, remember once it’s in you can’t take it out. Leave it for five minutes and serve with generous ripped up coriander on top
remembering you have that last beer to celebrate with the Holiville people.

For added happiness serve flat breads ( as they are easy to make.: big pot of natural full fat yogurt, plain flour and baking powder, I guess when I make this so just pour out flour and add in yogurt and half a tsp of baking powder, knead. Knead some more. Break off small balls and roll into flat bread shapes, throw in the oven on baking paper at 180c for about five minutes, watch them or they will be burnt.

Drinks!

I’m going to guess this ,completely.

Use a high ball tumbler the you’re going to drink from as I am making this up!

Pour a decent measure of whisky into the glass, add twice as much again of fresh orange juice. Slice one Jalepeno pepper (don’t add this). Pour the glass’ contents onti a cocktail shaker, add the jalepeno slices, put the lid on and shake it like mad. Strain and pour into your glass with ice, It should warm you up!

Tradition.

Tree of hands.

There is a 30 foot tall wire tree. Each attendee each year is required to have one of their hands scanned, then a 3D print is made from light weight durable plastic at 5% thickness in this years colour (new colour each year). These hands are then added to the tree each year to form leaves. As the breeze gently blows the tree waves.

2 Likes

HA! I have Orange juice and cranberry juice in the fridge, I’ll have one of those drinks later when I’m cooking that curry! Good shout @Tanwax, easy challenge to make!

1 Like

Both look amazing, bread pudding may get a try!

1 Like

Love any drink with cranberries. Sorry to hear elderberries are toxic there, I get mine from secret locations in the woods. Wish I had some on property (that were not toxic)

1 Like

Saving this recipe (especially the beer part) for a day off, it really looks tasty. Actually have some massala, going to look for paneer.

Will report on this drink I think (after work of course) because jalapenos in anything is a good thing and this looks interesting.

2 Likes

Orange and cranberry drink done, man that was tasty, I know you don’t drink but I may have another later with a splash of Vodka. Cheers @Tanwax!

2 Likes