Electroneum’s ETN is the greenest crypto after reducing energy consumption to nearly zero

Electroneum has once again gone to where no other cryptocurrency in the industry has gone, becoming the most eco-friendly blockchain in existence.

Introduced earlier this week, Electroneum’s new Moderated Blockchain, powered by their revolutionary Proof of Responsibility protocol, brings unprecedented levels of security to the cryptocurrency, increases functionality and transaction speeds. But that’s not all!

Electroneum’s new Proof of Responsibility protocol drastically reduces the blockchain’s energy consumption. From the previous Proof of Work protocol which required equivalent energy to light approximately 2.4 million light bulbs every day, all day, Electroneum’s new blockchain requires enough energy to light just one light bulb*.

“We are making a massive difference. You have to take into consideration that nobody has their lights on all day, whilst mining machines run 24/7,” says Electroneum CEO Richard Ells. “So in reality, before the fork, ETN miners were consuming enough electricity to power 14 million light bulbs. This is equivalent to lighting up 700,000 houses every day. Now, we are consuming about as much electricity as one average home uses to light up their porch throughout the night.”

“We had our light bulb moment,” says Electroneum head of blockchain Chris Harrison. “We created a highly unique and clever new ecologically responsible way to mine cryptocurrency.”

Richard Ells states the Electroneum team decided it was no longer sustainable to have thousands of miners running close to around 125,000 ASIC mining rigs that were using up four Giga hashes of computing power.

“We developed a way to eliminate all these rigs and to reduce the rate of hashing millions of times from over four Giga hashes to under one half of a kilo hash. We concluded that it was time to stop destroying the environment and drastically reduce our carbon footprint.”

To put this in perspective, Bitcoin, for example, has a carbon footprint equal to that of Las Vegas, according to scientists at the Technical University of Munich (TUM).

TUM lead researcher Christian Stoll wrote a report saying that all mineable currencies put together consume about 60 TWh of power in a year, which is twice the power output of Sri Lanka, which has a population of over 21 million.

Greenpeace Senior IT Sector Analyst Gary Cook said, “If Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies hope to maintain their social license in a world that is increasingly driven to action by the Climate Emergency, not only must there be changes to the ‘Proof of Work’ model to make mining far less energy intensive, but mining must also be restricted to locations where mining is powered by renewable sources of electricity, and not driving new demand for fossil fuels.”

And this is exactly what Electroneum has done by moving from Proof of Work to Proof of Responsibility, eliminating the massive consumption of energy to nearly nothing and by bringing in responsible and trusted miners that use their block rewards to help people on the ground gain skills and training to improve their lives.

Proof of Responsibility is a paradigm shift by Electroneum towards sustainable and responsible mining that thrusts the cryptocurrency industry to a new era.

*Energy saving 15w bulb

This is really fantastic - but I would like to know some more detail about this.

Edit: I have previously tweeted that Electroneum have reduced mining foot-print by 75% (I thought that was what Richard previously said) - but this announcement appears to suggest a 99%+ reduction.

Can you confirm what the actual mining reduction % typically is? I like to do my small part to promote ETN and spread the news and excitement.

1 Like

I think it is referring to electroneum’s eLearning platform.This was also mentioned in Chris Gorman’s report.

2 Likes

I don’t understand how the trusted miners do this.

The statement I quoted above suggests some kind of funding towards “on the ground” training.

Some details would be great - which shouldn’t be too difficult to provide as this would be a measurable input, by the “trusted miners”.

The 75% reduction is for the block rewards for the miners. This, in turn, will make ETN more scarce.

The reduction in energy required for the electroneum blockchain is from 14 million lightbulbs to 1 lightbulb; ie, over 99% reduction in energy consumption :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thanks, yes I mixed the 75% figure from reward to mining foot-print.

99.999% does appear to be what this announcement is suggesting is the foot-print reduction.

2 Likes

I think we have yet to see further details on the eLearning platform. Not sure if there is a link to the miners and the educators - they might be able to overlap and perform both roles, but I see these as distinct roles.

To quote directly from Chris’s report:

“Launching soon, Electroneum’s eLearning platform will enhance the skill sets of unbanked people worldwide, enabling access to online digital learning for the first time and a route for educators to contribute to our programmes.”

How will it work? I don’t know, but I would imagine that it might mean that digital skills can be taught via Gig Guru/Gig Fair, maybe such as photo editing, logo design, animation, writing and producing digital music. Not sure if that might be formal training modules, or a form of online learning, one-to-one tuition, if it would be limited to formal educational establishments/the NGOs and charities or if individual private teachers/tutors themselves could get involved somehow.

Very excited to see what will come of this though!

Anybody else read any further or have any other ideas what the eLearning platform might be all about?

4 Likes

Thanks again for replying @sallypinkhair - my above quote just seems very matter of fact and I would like some details on this apparently, very philanthropic move by the trusted miners.

Note: I’m not suggesting by any means that it is not a philanthropically motivated move - it just paints the trusted miners in an exceptionally positive light - one which I think details should be forthcoming about.

1 Like

It’s already been mentioned that ETN prefers to work with NGOs and non-profits who focus on education or vocational training, or at least education is part of their platform. ETN hopes or expects them to spend some of their mining rewards purchasing eLearning courses for the people they serve, so that those people can acquire skills to earn money on the gig fair site.

eLearning courses can cover just about any subject known to man, so the possibilities are endless.

I think at first, the focus would be mostly on creating and getting courses available for digital image skills learning, entrepreneurial related…think of something similar to a business mentor, but instead of working with an individual one on one a course is created to share ideas and knowledge with anyone who would like to watch, listen and learn.

Browse udemy.com sometime to get an idea of what kind of courses there are already out there.
And that’s just one such site, there are more.

You don’t launch a gig economy site aimed at helping those struggling with poverty without also creating a support system that enables the people you are targeting to acquire the new skills that they can turn around and use on your gig economy site.

It’s not just skills the gig workers need to acquire, it’s tools, software, templates, and on and on.

For photoshop programs alone you are talking about tens of thousands of brushes, plug-ins, templates, ect.

So how does someone struggling in poverty acquire those tools and the knowledge to use them efficiently and effectively to compete in the gig marketplace?

You need your mining partners to provide some assistance by spending some mining rewards on these things. The whole point of ETN Allowing them to participate as trusted miners is to create a symbiotic relationship where it’s win/win for all involved including the people who both parties would like to help.

I said these things months ago in multiple posts, the miner angle is a big surprise, but I mentioned that non profits and NGOs would need to help provide training and tools for workers to participate in the gig economy for it to truly work and be the most effective.

It’s quite simple, if a trusted miner NGO or partner isn’t using a significant portion of their mining rewards to directly help improve lives, provide education, increase earning power or encourage the entrepreneurial spirit and growth, they can be cut off from mining and earning mining rewards…they can be replaced.

This isn’t handouts, it’s a hand up and is meant to grow the ETN ecosystem while helping organizations
who are helping the forgotten to become the difference makers.

6 Likes

Hello. Thanks for your comment. It’s our mining reward that we’ve reduced by 75% - not our energy consumption. As you’ve eluded to in your comment, it’s our energy consumption that we’ve reduced considerably more (by more than 99%).

5 Likes