CLI wallet to new smart chain

Hi, I have the latest electroneummd file running should be synced with blockchain sometime today. What exactly do i need to do to make sure my ETN will make it to new smart chain. Do I need to send it out of my cliwallet , the document online didn’t sound like that but wasn’t sure, any help is appreciated!

If you are using the latest version of CLI (5.0.0.3)…AFTER block 1,811,310 your ETN will get automatically sent to the bridge and destroyed.

On the new smart chain, the same amount of coins will be sent to a wallet that was derived using the Private Key from CLI on the old blockchain, this is all automatic. You will be able to use the private key (spend key) and take control of those new tokens on the new smart chain (using a tool like Metamask).

Help/guides will be provided…as well as public nodes to connect MetaMask to.

Unless you need your new tokens straight away after block 1,811,310, I suggest you just download the latest CLI version ready and wait until the team release help on the process.

2 Likes

I believe CLI (5.0.0.2) is the latest software for electroneumMD and cli wallet program. After the cut over block, is there another CLI program that I’ll need to interact with new smart contract blockchain or will 5.0.0.2 continue to work with new chain?

Are you confirming that then my same private key on the old blockchain will also be same private key then on new one?

Additionally, I only interact with a wallet which ends with file extension of .etn. How do I get my private key from this wallet? Will this wallet file interact with new smart chain?

I believe CLI (5.0.0.2) is the latest software for electroneumMD and cli wallet program. After the cut over block, is there another CLI program that I’ll need to interact with new smart contract blockchain or will 5.0.0.2 continue to work with new chain?

Yup, new blockchain, new tools. all the old executables only work with the old blockchain.

You can run a node on the smart chain (etn-sc) and an interface to run commands against it for wallets (etn-sc --attach). Those are the equivalent of Electroneumd and Electroneum-wallet-cli. There is alot more to it than that…but you get the idea.

You can also use third party tools like metamask and others in time. Hardware wallets hopefully as well.

Are you confirming that then my same private key on the old blockchain will also be same private key then on new one?

Yup. The private key from the old blockchain will allow you to control the wallet the coins are sent to on the smart chain.

Additionally, I only interact with a wallet which ends with file extension of .etn. How do I get my private key from this wallet? Will this wallet file interact with new smart chain?

If you are using electroneum-wallet-cli you can type “help” to get list of commands. There is a command to see the keys.

I appreciate your help. Hopefully our conversation helps others as well. I did find some .key files but when I open in notepad I cannot see clear text. I assume I need the clear text version of the private key in order to access in metamask?

I appreciate your help. Hopefully our conversation helps others as well. I did find some .key files but when I open in notepad I cannot see clear text. I assume I need the clear text version of the private key in order to access in metamask?

As i said, from within electroneum-wallet-cli you can get your keys for the wallet. Type help in the tool to find the command to see your keys, i dont remember off the top of my head.

The help command has maybe 2 commands that may show my private key. A view key and spend key command. Both commands show a secret and public key value.

I don’t believe there is an export command that shows the private key in plain text.

Can you confirm the command I need to get the private key from ,my wallet file

Thanks. Is there then a command I could run to maybe import that private key and create a new wallet just to test it?

Spendkey. You got it. :+1:

So I have my spend key and I see there is already the new software for the smart chain. Do I just now wait till after fork and then run that new smart contract software. Could I create a new wallet there in advance using my spend key secret key?

Do I just now wait till after fork and then run that new smart contract software

You will need to run the old client to bridge your coins (send them to the new smart chain), then use metamask or etn-sc client to take control of them on the new chain. Guides will be put out user227.

Could I create a new wallet there in advance using my spend key secret key?

You could, but i wouldn’t advise it, wait for guides/help unless you are very comfortable with command line tools etc. Mistakes are very costly in crypto.

If you used metamask or the etn-sc client you would need to also set up a smart chain node locally for those tools to connect to. The team will be providing public nodes to use along with instructions on how…which I would advise most people wait for.

Hello. I have all my coins on cli. So when its time to switch over. I will have to make a meta mask myself before i do anything and somehow put the address in cli to send them there? And i dont remember my seed phrase, will i need that? Im so worried sbout this part of the process

I will have to make a meta mask myself before i do anything and somehow put the address in cli to send them there? And i dont remember my seed phrase, will i need that? Im so worried sbout this part of the process

It wont bridge to the new chain until you log into the wallet with the latest version of CLI (5.0.0.2). No rush… you can wait for guides and do when you are ready. Just stay out of CLI until ready.

Thank you. You put us all at ease with your knowledge

Right now I am not running the CLI, I think kinda waiting for new chain to be up and running and then go back into old CLI , get CLI updated at that point sounds like coins will be bridged for us and then still not entirely sure how to gain access to them in new chain

1 Like

Are we close to Cutover?

Right now I am not running the CLI, I think kinda waiting for new chain to be up and running and then go back into old CLI , get CLI updated at that point sounds like coins will be bridged for us

Indeed. That’s the right approach.

and then still not entirely sure how to gain access to them in new chain

Instructions for accessing the tokens that are bridged from the old chain to the new smart chain will be made available after maintenance. Basically you just open a wallet on the new chain using the private key from the CLI on the old chain you bridged from - but more details will be released.

1 Like

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Electroneum Smart Chain Migration FAQ