You asked for Shopify, I give you Shopify! Now I need your help!

So, I have finally gotten around to uploading a video demonstrating the app I made that integrates ETN instant payments to Shopify. As some of you may know, ETN got rejected for Shopify’s hosted payment SDK, so I got around that issue and put the integration into an app. It’s not ideal, but it works surprisingly well!
Before you watch the video You’ll notice I blurred out all QR codes and links. This is to avoid people finding the install link to my app, or seeing my name. As you will see in the video, it is not quite ready for beta use yet. If you notice I missed anything with the blurs, please do not attempt to install the app and let me know in a private message
Watch the video here!

Now I need your help

1. Contrary to plugins for infrastructures like Wordpress, which are downloaded and installed onto each individual store, Shopify apps do not run on the Shopify infrastructure and are entirely hosted on third party servers. I originally hoped I would be able to transfer ownership of the app to the ETN team once I finish development. However, after speaking to @Egg, I fear that might be possible (tbd). If I don’t find any solution I may have to scrap the whole project for the following reasons:
  • I don’t have the money to pay for hosting, and don’t own a server.
  • I also don’t have the time to manage a backend.
  • Finally, I simply don’t have any knowledge of the legal implications of storing sensitive “financial” information, such as private API keys

So, if anyone has any suggestions in regards to hosting the app, please let me know! Also, if anyone has any knowledge about the legal side of storing the API keys, could you please brief me? :slight_smile:

1. I’m terrible at CSS, please let me know what you think of the design (aside from the order management page which I haven’t worked on yet

2. Please let me know if you have any suggestions in regards to the additional features and functionalities I should add.
    I have already thought of the obvious:

• Settings tab to change api keys and outlet ID
  • Displaying transaction IDs in the orders tab
  1. Please let me know if you noticed any issues in the video. I have already noticed the following after recording the video:
  • Typo in the HTML code the shop owner will have to paste
  • Forgot to tell the user to add my app url to the webhook url field of the Electroneum vendor settings area.

If you would like to see this app come to life, please take the time to see if you can help with anything mentioned in the list above, it would greatly decrease the time before I can start user-testing with you guys.

Kind regards,
Mehmeh

UPDATE:
So, development is basically finished now. Everything is working smoothly. Community member @cnorin from etncommerce.com has been incredibly helpful in getting this app off the ground. He has even offered hosting of the beta testing on his own servers. So, I gave him a look at the finished product. Here is his video/review/tutorial on the app, so you can see what the finished product looks like:

Now all we need is some help from the ETN team for privacy policy / terms and conditions. And I also want to discuss some things with them about the future of the Shopify app before I make it public. So to the community members who are eagerly waiting for this, sit tight, it will come as soon as it is ready.

To the ETN team: I hope you’re not too busy with all the hard work you’ve been putting into this cryptocurrency. I also hope you get some well deserved holidays, you’ve done a great job! @Egg, @ETNCEO, I’m ready when you are!

And to @cnorin, I will say it again, thank you for all your help! You deserve a round of applause :relaxed:

I hope to come back to you guys with some more good news soon.

Kind regards,
Mehmeh

1 Like

Brilliant work, really great! Thanks for sharing :purple_heart::chipmunk:

4 Likes

Love it.

As for suggestions. I would like that when you select the payment option there is a little “i” next to “Electroneum” and when you click it it tells you what ETN is and maybe links you to the etn website.

It sucks that it has to be hosted remotely but the ETN team should have a big interest in hosting this if it helps spreading ETN :). Maybe finish it up really nice, comment the code good and suggest to the Team. It would be one more gateway to mass adoption. Again. Good job.

7 Likes

Thank you for the suggestion! I’ve actually been looking into modifying the payment method selection (not only add a link, but also add a logo etc.)… I completely agree it looks pretty ugly and could be confusing to some customers if it’s just plain text. Shopify is a bit restrictive in what apps can do though, and the docs aren’t the clearest. I’ll keep it in mind as I continue development!
Thanks again!

6 Likes

Thanks! I appreciate the support :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Wow that would be awsome have magento, woocommerce and too shopify :wink: great info for our future. We all love YOU!

4 Likes

Well done @mehmeh. This is excellent!

4 Likes

Superb!!! 20 characters

3 Likes

Hey there! To follow up, I’ve spent the last 4-5 hours researching on how to achieve what you wanted to suggest. As it turns out, Shopify prevents all customisation to the checkout pages, except for the ‘thank you’ page (where the QR code appears). They have to do this to maintain PCI compliance. When you think about it, allowing users to add code to the checkout pages that would get executed such as html (even for a logo or ‘i’ as you put it), would open the whole Shopify platform to so many security risks. I usually tend to accept after about 5 hours of research and zero progress that what I’m looking to do simply isn’t possible (it actually is possible, only with very borderline to unethical practices which I will not do). So, plain text it is, for the moment at least… Thank you for the suggestion though…

4 Likes

You are welcome. What about a simple CSS solution ? You can use the :before and :after to add text or icons.

3 Likes

@CryptoMatt l the modifications my rails app adds to the shopify store are using the shopify API as that is the only way an app can make modifications to a store (without the customer having to copy and paste code everywhere)… The api does not allow any modifications to the payment methods checkout pages (aside from, as I mentioned, the thank you page), and checkout pages escape all html in all payment method titles or other text fields. As you can see below, Bitpay has a logo thanks to Hosted Gateway SDK, and test2 escapes html (and all other code) Were you suggesting something else?

1 Like

Thanks for your work this is very positive for ETN keep up the good work

3 Likes

I dont know enough about the system :slight_smile: I think you did a great job. People who would implement this could add a “whats ETN” page on their site somewhere anyways. I hope ETN will host this since it could have some impact for mass adoption.

3 Likes

@CryptoMatt I come to you with good news. I figured it out. It’s slightly hacky (not against Shopify Terms, but I will still make it optional for users), and involves the user pasting three lines of js in his google analytics additional scripts (he needs to have google analytics enabled though, but most shopify merchants have it anyway). Still needs some tweaking for sizing, and I can’t guarantee it will be a feature in the release but at least I know it works. I added the logo instead of text, and the “i” icon opens the electroneum homepage in a new tab. What do you think?

screenshot%20145

10 Likes

That is just perfect :slight_smile: Good job.
@ETNCEO Maybe you can support this project. Would enable more shops to accept ETN.

6 Likes

Wow this is great! Exactly what is needed. I run a web agency and have some servers around. I think I can host this and help with some CSS. I yhink you’ve done a great job with that anyway

7 Likes

@cnorin Oh that’s great! I’m working on cleaning some stuff up at the moment and making the order management page look good. I will write you a private message in the coming days so we can see if there’s any way you can help. Thank you so much!

6 Likes

Well done, Shopify atttracts younger store owners and those are the guys that would be more willing to use crypto.

7 Likes

Looking good I like it

5 Likes

Hey @mehmeh, how are you getting on with your code tweaks. Looking forward to seeing another vid of your updated API

6 Likes