The Modern Tech Race

Last year the Americas Cup Yacht race was held in Bermuda. Several countries had prepared over a few years, a single and innovative yacht design which allowed the yacht platform to lift and foil above the water, this creates less drag from the body being hauled through the sea and most of all it increased the overall speed from 20 or so knots to 45 and upwards of 50.
New Zealand chose to separate themselves as a challenger from all other syndicates, who were working together. They were labeled the lone wolf because of this. What was so ingenious was the fact that they were innovative in their preparation the whole time, they needed to be because the posts were continuously moved by the AC defender to change the yacht races in its favor.
Oracle did this to the extent that they allowed themselves to sail in the challenger series and take points to the final off the genuine contender. Before racing started Oracle agreed to sea trial there yacht against the other challengers enabling them to gauge the competition, all the while New Zealand was at home plotting there own course in a strategy to develop yacht function and the evolution of speed.
The kiwis used an method where they would throw the ball as far as possible in order to retrieve as much information as they could and then improve the yachts systems, in doing so they took an age old method of grinding, which uses the power of the arms to lift sails and trim and switched it to pedaling, this enabled them to gain more power through the use of leg power as opposed to arm strength, they could trim the mast and move hydraulic fluid fast enough to raise and lower foils, as well as increase the speed of manoeuvring the level and angle of the foils lifting and powering up the yacht, they freed up enough time to tactically outsmart their competitors by setting a coarse target and position themselves at times hundreds of meters ahead of the game.
This whole time other syndicates were trying to put them off, it was a fruitless exercise.
Team New Zealand completed sea trials over a couple of weeks and during the challengers series, because the other teams refused to compare tactics and play fair.
During the challenger series TNZ capsized and was forced to work and prepare for a race the next day when most would have abandoned any chance of recovering, however they worked 24 hours and were ready to go. this didn’t slow them down.
They were determined even though they had raced twice against Oracle and lost both of their challenger races, they won the series to meet Oracle in the final. Oracle by this time had changed their yacht by putting in a cyclor to attempt to intimidate, it didn’t work and this attitude changed the whole dynamics of their boat, it was to difficult to sail and replicate what TNZ had done.
Team New Zealand went on to win the Americas cup 7/1 against the most technologically advanced nation on earth, the rest is history.

The whole story of this teams endeavour and struggle is a perfect example of how the coarse is being set by ETN in another tech race, in essence the story is turning out to be very similar in fact it’s exhilarating. It’s for this very reason I believe that ETN will win the crypto race and all those who disbelieved will be left behind to ponder how ETN sailed away and left them behind.

Okay now youre going for the heartstrings of a n old sea dog .
Never can resist a tale of determination against all odds and ultimately success.
Interesting comparison…Thanks.

2 Likes

Yeah I appreciate all that is done in this regatta it’s amazing where its come from to today.

1 Like

I did my bit on the side…
I was volunteer coastguard.
We took on the stuff the Navy said no to.
Sydney to hobart and the race back to mooloolaba mainly.
Iwas a commercial fisho for 23 years.
It was just a part of the scenery.

1 Like

That’s interesting Pahini I grew up in New Zealand and started boat building at 16 years. By the time I was 20 I was building maxi racers, Stienlager 1 a trimaran which sailed around Australia against Verbatum another trimaran which at the time was the fastest yacht in the southern hemisphere. Stienlager beat Verbatim by 240 nautical miles in 1988 bicentennial year in a yacht race around Australia. I moved to Australia at 20 years of age and built several racers at McConaghy boats on the northern beaches of Sydney, Monavale. 5 years later I was building the Americas Cup defence with Team New Zealand, I was also an honorable fisheries officer. I think we have alot in common Pahini. If I wait this out and make some serious profit I will decide on building my own racing yacht, if your interested I could do with a reliable crew to race the coastal classic in NZ and the Sydney to Hobart in Australia and my spinnaker will have a massive ETN logo pointing her in the right direction.

2 Likes

Bloody hell mate!
I was born in the UK .
Came out here as a five pound pommy.
Iwas on the first fleet and it hadnt gone up to ten!
Maiden voyage of the Oriana…youd know her!
Iwas raised in Sydney… North Epping.
Spent my chilhood haunting the Hawkesbury, Pittwater etc etc.
Fished lake narrabeen regularly and warriewood was a favourite.
18 I left school and was one of the first students in the Australian maritime college.Tassie…the fisheries end at Beauty point.
23 years in the fishing industry all over Australia.
Im a Master Class 5 Marine Engine driver 2.
Did another few years in shipyards , Darwin and Cairns.
Yeah same sort of school you might say!!

2 Likes

You sound like the clever barstard that put his thumb print on a John dory, just so I could identify my favorite fillet swimming into a frying pan.

1 Like

Sounds like youre a cold water fish man.
Good eating the john dory.
I think probably my favorite would be monkfish
Or a good estuary cod (relative of coral trout).

1 Like

Mate you wouldn’t happen to know a gentleman by the name Paul Christina would you?
He’s a captain on the Sydney ferries and I used to work as diver at Manly Oceanworld with him.

1 Like

I dont recall him, no.I know one lady who drives sydney ferries.
I spent a bit of time working out of Walsh Bay (pier 5).
Many many moons ago!

1 Like

2 Likes

My good friend we must catch up and wet some lines.

Youre on.
One thousand squirrels