Electroneum Smart Contracts

A few questions / ideas

What would be some good reasoms to have dApps & smart contracts features via Electroneum / ETN?

How would it integrate with the app? What are its applications? Can the network handle smart contracts and high volume (e.g. like in CryptoKitties)?

Hi @cryptogenesis49, interesting subject.

As you hinted…the problem with smart contract functionality is the overhead it would add to the blockchain. When you are aiming for mass adoption, one of the primary drivers is speed and efficiency… smart contracts would make blocks a lot bigger…when the team have been focusing their efforts on doing the opposite.

It’s certainly possible from a technology standpoint… but i think its not something that would be looked at right now. Perhaps in future there could be some kind of 2nd layer functionality added that sits on top of the blockchain…but there would need to be a practical and beneficial use case to warrant it.

Its also worth mentioning that sometimes its better to be good at one thing, than average or bad at alot of things…SC’s dont really fit into the goals of Electroneum right now. A lot of other coins are looking to add them for no other reason than to generate interest or hype… not for usage.

Absolutely agree. Really valid points

I think smart contract is not needed in this project to succeed, smart contract is for tech savy guys, not for the unbanked. Dont get me wrong, i just think its not so important now.

Yes absolutely, may not be necessary in the short-term. I am thinking way too far ahead at the moment. Also we do not yet know the full scope of possibilities of how Smart Contracts will evolve or the beneficial use cases yet, hopefully some ideas over time will show some light.