Electroneum Paper (offline) Wallet generator Guide

Something you should know before we begin

There are two ways to generate a paper wallet. Second method is the most secure

First Method - By visiting a direct official link to generate paper (offline) wallet online in Incognito Window or Private Window

Second Method (Maximum Security) - By downloading a ZIP file containing ‘Offline Wallet Generator’ to run from a USB stick on a PC or MAC that is not connected to the Internet

First Method

Step 1: For security reasons "Open in New Incognito Window or New Private Window with your browser extensions switched off.” and go to https://downloads.electroneum.com/offline_paper_electroneum_walletV1.6.html

Step 2: Read the instructions carefully and then click on “Lets Get Started” button.

Step 3: To add lots of randomness to your wallet wiggle your mouse within the red area until the “Randomness” bar at the bottom is full.

Step 4: Your wallet is now ready for download. Click on “Save Wallet as PDF” and choose a location to store your PDF wallet.

Step 5: Once downloaded, you can open the PDF and print it out. It should look like the one below (Note: don’t use this wallet. Create your own!)

Second Method - maximum security

Step 1: Go to https://downloads.electroneum.com/offline_paper_electroneum_walletV1.6.html

Step 2: Click on “Download a Zip Here” link.

Step 3: Copy the downloaded ZIP file on to a USB stick.

Step 4: Extract ZIP file on to your offline PC or MAC that is not connected to the internet.

Step 5: Read the instructions carefully and then click on “Lets Get Started” button.

Step 6: To add lots of randomness to your wallet wiggle your mouse within the red area until the “Randomness” bar at the bottom is full.

Step 7: Your wallet is now ready. Click on “Save Wallet as PDF” and choose a location to store your PDF wallet.

Step 8: You can open the saved PDF and print it out. It should look like the one below ( Note: don’t use this wallet. Create your own!)

Securing your offline wallet

Remember that even though the offline wallet is a more secure method of storing your ETN, anyone that gets access to those keys will have complete control over your wallet so the print out must be kept secure. Consider making backups as if you lose the print out or it gets water damaged or burns up in a house fire for example then the wallet will be lost forever. You might want to consider keeping a digital copy or two somewhere safe on a USB stick (simple keep the PDF file safe). If you are more experienced you can even encrypt the PDF file with your chosen encryption software for additional security. Just remember if you lose access to the Private Keys you have lost the ETN and nobody can ever recover it.

Using your offline wallet

It is also recommended that for added security, when you have imported ETN from an offline wallet (this would require you to use the private keys either within our app or CLI tools) that you transfer the FULL BALANCE (our app does this automatically) and then create another offline wallet which has never been used and transfer any surplus ETN you’d like to protect to that new offline wallet. If you have a very large ETN balance you might want to use a number of offline wallets (remember you can have as many as you like at no cost except the small transfer fee to move the ETN to and back from the wallet).

Opening / Importing paper (offline) wallet

Electroneum Mobile Wallet

Electroneum CLI Wallet - you may check paper wallet balance via View Wallet mode only

Checking Transactions/Balance via Electroneum blockexplorer

15 Likes

Nice guide thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

3 Likes

wow… nice!! this will help alot here in the community👍

2 Likes

so u generate the offline wallet, print it out, delete it from your computer and its safe? can your trash be accessed to recover this paper wallet by hackers? curious.

2 Likes

how could we check the balance, or transfer etn coins from app to paper wallet?

Am i the only one who thinks that the online wallet are more secure because of the pin and the e-mail verificaish than the offline wallet? i mean someone could break into my home and steal the offline wallets.

1 Like
1 Like

Its possible, but can be complicated and some in cases recovery of deleted files may fail.

Best possible practice for generating paper wallet is making sure computer never gets connected to the internet, no one else has physical access, and to make sure your computer never gets stolen.

Some ways to prevent recovery of files are very brutal…

• Wiping a Hard Drive with DD (This would effectively write over the entire drive with ascii code characters, thus making it very complicated to recover any deleted files, also this process can take 5-48 hours to complete. DD also reduces Hard Drive’s lifespan)

• Use a Degausser to Erase the Hard Drive

• Physically Destroy the Hard Drive

1 Like

no but i think the paper wallet is the most secure.

1 Like

Thanks So much @cuddlesquid it really helped me a lot again! :blush: keep up the Awesome work!

1 Like

Hi
One question:
Imagine I have 30k etns.
Can I have 3 offline paper wallets each with 10k etns for my account.

yes, you can create 3 paper wallets and transfers any amount of etn to each of them

1 Like

How?
How can i have 3 different wallets with different balances for one single account?

I’m not sure what you mean. Paper wallets are not a part of your app/web-wallet account.

You can create as many paper-wallets as you like, and choose to transfer any amount of ETN into them.

Later on, you may choose to import the content of one paper-wallet using your app/web-wallet

1 Like

Thanks, I got it.
Now the question is: what’s the easiest and fastest way to check balance of a paper wallet.
By the way do we need to do kyc to send etn to paper wallet after Nov 12 ?

You will need all TransactionIDs from each transaction sent to paper wallet. For example if you send 100 ETN from Cryptopia to your paper wallet, Cryptopia will provide you with a TransactionID then you will use it and follow my guide below . This is the only way to ensure all ETN has arrived to paper wallet.

2 Likes

Fantastic guide. Should of shared this ages ago.

Tweeted shared etc. Thankyou @cuddlesquid

:peace_symbol::heart::grin:

1 Like