Crypto speak terminology for beginners

Altcoin
Any cryptocurrency other than bitcoin

Bagholder
A person who holds certain crypto which decreases in value until it is worthless

Bear/Bearish
Negative sentiment or downward price movement

Bear Trap
A literal trap where a general upward price trend reverses downwards momentarily and will continue its upwards motion

BTD
Buy The Dip. An indication to buy a coin when it has substantially decreased in price

Bull/Bullish
Positive sentiment or upward price movement

Bull Trap
A literal trap where a general decreasing price movement reverses upwards momentarily and will continue its downwards motion

Dump or Dumping
Selling away your coins/Downward price movements due to increase selling pressure by many

DYOR:
Do your own research

Faucet
Website that rewards you with small amounts of cryptos for the completion of a specific task

FA
Fundamental Analysis

FOMO
Fear Of Missing Out .
Green candles omg green green… This is a rookie mistake where a coin is skyrocketing and you get the feeling it’s gonna pump more, so you buy at the peak

Fork
Splitting of the Blockchain due to competing philosophies or protocol upgrades

FUD
Fear, Uncertainty & Doubt
Describes time of panic where negative sentiments are overexaggerated
HODL
Act of holding on to your coins even in dire market circumstances, resisting the urge to sell … hold on for dear life , this was actually a spelling mistake that went viral

Long
A positive or favourable view on the coin or the market in general, usually with an underlying investment on the coin in mind

MCAP
Market capitalization of the coin, which is an indicator of its market size. It’s derived from multiplying its market price to the total available supply of coins currently in the market

Moon
The Expected fast upward movement of price, towards the moon … my favourite mooooon

Pump
This is the Upward price movement

Pump & Dump
Price manipulation by whales ( hate those whales lol )

S#$tcoin
A coin with no potential value or use. Also, includes useless currencies such as fiat money

shill: anyone that goes on a public forum and “shills” their coin against another coin.
My coin will beat your coin in a fight, or my coin is bigger than your coin

Short
Selling coins on expecting the price to plunge

TA
Technical Analysis, or the analysis of prices based on historical price movements and fancy indicators

Rekt
A slang that refers to “wrecked”

Reverse Indicator
Someone who is always wrong predicting price movements

RSI
Relative Strength Index, a popular trading indicator used in technical analysis

Whale
Someone who owns a huge number of coins that can influence prices of coins.

A2z of cryptospeak

Hope this helps anyone and if I have missed any out please feel free to message me and I will add to the list

Thank you

Chris

you forgot shill: anyone that goes on a public forum and “shills” their coin against another coin.
My coin will beat your coin in a fight, or my coin is bigger than your coin

bagged up: holding 1 million in coins
Decasats: ranging in the ten’s of Sats, etn staying in the 8 decasats, down from 82 Sats to 86 Sats.

Shill is actually more like doing something illegitimate in hopes to pump value into their bags, such as putting the face of or getting word from someone much more credible, possibly in exchange for payment.

@Chris_T ^^^

There are many forms of it, but simply fighting about whose coin is better isn’t exactly shilling.

Thank you I’ll add it

Here’s a list I found on the net, you did awesome with the ones you listed :+1:

There is also a really nice educational page for getting up to speed with crypto here: https://college.lbx.com/

The word “short” originally came from the act of shorting a company’s stock. A person that shorts a stock expects the price to go down. So to capitalize on it, he goes out and borrows stock of the particular company from a friend or broker, and then sell those stocks on the open market. At that moment he is “short” the particular stocks, meaning that he needs those stocks again in order to give them back to the person he borrowed them from.

When the price does drop, the person buys back the stock at a lower price and returns it to the lender. In the process, he bought low and sold high (although in reverse order), and he therefore gets to keep the difference as profit.

Today the term “short” is loosely used to describe someone who sold their coins. But when you consider the original definition, it makes a whole lot more sense.

Thanks for the extra input

Nice List @Chris_T :+1: