CLI Wallet Transfer - Understanding "Change" & "Spent"

Could somebody who categorically knows what Change and Spent means logistically speaking in the CLI wallet.

Testing the CLI wallet to better understand it - I sent a 5 ETN payment with lowest priority to my main wallet…

From a Show Transfer command, amongst other things I see
txid: …
Height: …
Timestamp: …
Amount: 5.00
Payment ID: 000000000…
Change: 14.90
Fee: 0.10
Destination: …

After I agreed the proposed transaction I created, a few seconds later 4 output appeared on screen…

Height … … <…> received 0.90
Height … … <…> received 4.00
Height … … <…> received 10.00
Height … … <…> spent 20.00

Checking my CLI wallet balance I see 20.00 was deducted from my balance (temporarily)… A little while later the 14.90 change was returned and the wallet balance is as expected.

X (pre tx balance) - 5.00 (intended payment) - 0.10 (fee) = Y (and the math for Y is correct after tx+fee deducted).

On a basic level the math all works out and everything is fine - no issue understanding that.

But can someone explain the logistics behind temporarily deducting the 20 ETN (on a 5.10 transaction) to later return the additional 14.90 change ?

I think many of us could learn from an informed explanation. Thanks.

If I was to guess I might imagine the 15.00 was temporarily held to cover fee costs.

Then it deducts the 0.10 fee and returns the 14.90 change.

This is odd though as before I agreed the transaction (y / n), I was advised the 0.10 fee… So the fee was known before the tx was authorised.

@cuddlesquid (deleted post)
Ahhhhh… I’ve been wondering why apples seemed so expensive.

Of course I know what change is in regular terms.

No offence but I did clarify Could somebody who categorically knows what Change and Spent means logistically speaking in the CLI wallet.

@BegaMutex can you help , thanks

@cuddlesquid No you didn’t give a logistical answer. You gave me a conceptual answer - an answer that would be appropriate to fixed amounts of money, like a $20 bill.

Your conceptual answer is not appropriate for a crypto that is divisible at the point of transaction - and it is the logistics of this that I am trying to ascertain.

@Jo_Boo
To categorically know you’ll need to understand the complex monero code, and very few in in this community have a deep understanding of it’s inner workings

Here is how I interpret it:
A transaction fee is dynamic and is actually based on transaction size i kilobytes (rounded up)

A transaction is also split up into several smaller ones, because monero is trying to obfuscate transactions to make it a anonymous coin.

The size of one transaction has something called a base transaction size, but there are several other factors affecting the final size of it, like adding anonymising “RingCT” and other “random stuff”.

I do not know the exact formula, but I guess if you decide to transfer a small amount like 5 ETN, the code actually needs to put aside (Spent) 20 ETN to make sure there is enough to cover the real (&fake) transactions and fees on the network.

Rabbit Hole

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/electroneum/electroneum/master/src/wallet/wallet2.cpp

If you really want to dig down into the code and know more, I would suggest asking in the monero forums.
Word of advice: be polite, or they will bite your f head off (or most likely ignore you)

Thank you for your response, although it doesn’t really clear anything up and I’m sure an explanation exists without knowing the details of the monero code.

The answer is in the code, I LOL’ed hard (being a nerd) when I once found print_money in the code

void wallet2::set_spent(size_t idx, uint64_t height)
{
transfer_details &td = m_transfers[idx];
LOG_PRINT_L2("Setting SPENT at " << height << ": ki " << td.m_key_image << ", amount " << print_money(td.m_amount));
td.m_spent = true;
td.m_spent_height = height;
}

Code can explain technically how, not logistically why…

The temporary over-spend (and later refund) seems a redundant hangover of the monero obfuscation. Of course I’m not an expert and may be wrong.

The above example (opening post) I have given would be akin to a 5.10 Debit Card charge where they temporarily deduct 20.00 and later refund 14.90.

It wouldn’t make sense.

WHY isn’t this your TOPIC ?

I totally agree (!), but at the moment we are still using old monero-code with only 1 RingCT

If you have suggestions how to clean this us, please submit your code to github

@andrepatta

That’s a rather arguementative reply… Should only blockchain coders ask questions or make observations ?

I am not criticising the above, I’m merely trying to understand why as I outlined in the opening post.

To elaborate further my thinking is if someone in (let’s say) a developing nation only had 19 ETN in wallet and wished to spend 4.50 + 0.20 fee (I don’t know what they’re buying) - will they be denied because while they have sufficient funds for cost (4.70 this example), they don’t have enough for the mysterious (20.00 OP example) over-charge / refund.

You are free to make an observation too, please add it to github ! (if not, I could do it for you)
I agree with you

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)