[BETA] Electroneum Desktop Wallet FAQs

:white_check_mark: Firstly, please all join me in thanking Andre Patta (@andrepatta) for using his spare time to create the Electroneum Desktop Wallet. Adapting the original XMR wallet to work with ETN would not have been an easy task, so a HUGE thanks to Andre for the excellent job he has done. Also, a shout out to the Monero developer community for creating the XMR GUI for which the ETN Desktop Wallet is based on.

IMPORTANT NOTICE : The ETN Desktop Wallet was neither created nor is maintained by Electroneum Ltd. As with any public open source project, by using the desktop wallet you agree to take full responsibility for any and all results of its usage. Careful consideration and analysis should be done of the software and its licence before installing it.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

Please provide feedback/questions in this thread and i will update the list.

* Why use a desktop wallet when we have the Mobile App?
* Where do I download it?
* How do I use it?
* What operating systems does it work on?
* Does it work with Ledger?
* I don’t have much space on my computer, do I need to run a node locally?
* What is the difference between an Account and a Sub-Address?
* Can I import my paper wallet into the Desktop Wallet?
* Do I need to do KYC to use the ETN Desktop Wallet?
* Why did it fail when someone tried to send coins to my Sub-Address?
* Can I get support if I have an issue?

Why use a desktop wallet when we have the Mobile App?

Electroneum provides a free online/mobile wallet that anyone can use for managing their ETN. Using this allows you to not only send and receive ETN directly from your phone but it also gives you access to a range of additional second layer services which have been developed by Electroneum Ltd on top of the Blockchain. These include:

• Instant Payment system for buying items from any one of the thousands of vendors who accept ETN as payment.

• The ability to top-up your mobile data in over 140 countries worldwide directly from the app itself.

• Integration with the AnyTask.com freelancer platform enabling users to sell digital services across the globe.

However, everything accessible online holds a certain amount of risk, thus it is generally accepted that you should never leave more crypto-currency online than you wish to use. So, when you are not buying items in the app or trading on an exchange it is highly recommended that you store your ETN off the internet, preferably in cold storage.

The current way of doing this (using the command line interface, CLI in conjunction with locally stored or paper wallet) is more orientated towards technical users and is thus not very user friendly. This is where the ETN Desktop wallet comes in.

The ETN Desktop Wallet is a new, easy to use interface for interacting with the ETN public blockchain.

This allows users of all abilities to send, receive and control their ETN from their desktop computer using a local or remote copy of the blockchain.

Where do I download it?

The current BETA release (v1.0) can be found here:

:link: Source code

How do I use it?

There is a comprehensive user guide available as part of the download, or you can view it on github direct:

Github Guide

Read through this guide thoroughly before using the software. No really, read it. :point_left:

What operating systems does it work on?

Windows / MAC OS / Linux
(versions to be confirmed)

Does it work with Ledger?

The Desktop Wallet has been designed to work with the ledger hardware wallet. However, this will not be available until Ledger complete their integration. Keep an eye on the official Electroneum Social media to stay up to date on its progress.

Chris Harrison, Lead Blockchain Developer for Electroneum discusses the Ledger Integration in this video.

I don’t have much space on my computer, do I need to run a node locally?

No, you can make use of remote nodes (via Simple mode). The app has 3 wallet mode options

• Simple Mode (Remote Node)
    Choose a region and use a suggested 3rd party remote node.

• Bootstrap Mode (Remote & Local Node)
    Uses a remote node while downloading the blockchain locally in the background.

• Advanced Mode (Either)
    Setup and configure your settings. For more advanced users.

What is the difference between an Account and a Sub-Address?

A wallet can have multiple Accounts and Sub-Addresses to help you manage your funds.

The Desktop wallet enables you to separate your wallet into different addresses to help categorise your ETN. So, for example, you may want to have a general address which you use for paying for items and a HODL address as a type of savings account. This is what Accounts are for.

You can create different Accounts which have their own unique address to keep the ETN separate and easily identified…whilst still all being in the same single wallet.

So where do Sub-Addresses come into it? Well, for each Account, you are able to create multiple unique sub-addresses for people to send coins to. This is optional, but it does help keep things more private by allowing you to provide a new, distinct, address for each payment or person. If not, you can just use the Accounts address.

Can I import my paper wallet into the Desktop Wallet?

Yes. There are many options, including creating a brand-new wallet, opening an existing CLI wallet, accessing your paper wallet in read-only mode or importing a paper wallet using the seed or keys.

Do I need to do KYC to use the ETN Desktop Wallet?

No. Only the adoption driving services provided by Electroneum Ltd (such as the mobile app, instant payment system and top-ups) require Know Your Customer verification. This is because services built on TOP of the blockchain are designed to connect with commercial partners who require a regulated platform.

When you are using the Desktop Wallet, you are communicating with the blockchain direct.

Why did it fail when someone tried to send coins to a Sub-Address?

Nodes/Wallets which have not been upgraded to v3.1 or later cannot recognise the new Sub-Addresses and thus will fail when trying to submit a transaction to one. This will be most common when withdrawing from an exchange to your Desktop Wallet as they usually take a long time to upgrade. In the meantime, use your main account address (i.e. #0), not a sub-address.

Can I get support if I have an issue?

As the Desktop wallet is not created by Electroneumn Ltd, there is no official support service/platform for using it. However, we have an amazing community, so you can ask questions here in the forum and someone will usually help. :+1:

:arrow_heading_up: Back to top

12 Likes

Tanks for the info on the Desktop wallet - have just shared this on twitter.

5 Likes

No probs. :+1:

If anyone comes across any YouTube videos on installing and using… let me know. I’m sure some users would find it extremely helpful seeing how to set it up from scratch.

1 Like

So I played a bit around with sub-addresses and I think there is a slight problem.
I created one for a withdrawal from KuCoin, but that transaction failed after nearly two days, at least thats what KuCoin displayed.
Next try was to send from my account directly to the sub-address within the same account. It was successfully sent and processed by the blockchain and visible in transactions, but I am not really sure if it was received, as there is no visible transaction for an incoming amount.
Maybe it is just me doing something wrong, maybe someone else can give it a try.

Hi twd78.

You are not doing anything wrong… I believe that’s an issue when sending from a non-upgraded node to a sub-address. Obviously it will take time for exchanges to upgrade to the latest version due to needing downtime etc. Im sure Kucoin and the rest will upgrade soon.

I’ve added question above to help, while we wait for all nodes to upgrade.

Regarding your transaction…I’ve sent dozens of transactions, between accounts/sub-addresses and externally. The transactions tab shows sent/received transactions for the Account you have selected (not the whole wallet)… so make sure you have the correct one selected when trying to view that tab.

2 Likes

Great post @BegaMutex. Thanks for explaining it in such details!

@twd78 BegaMutex is right about his response above. Most likely KuCoin hasn’t upgraded to v3.1.0.0 yet, meaning their node (prob still v3.0.0.0) doesn’t support sending to sub-addresses.

Cheers.

3 Likes

:+1: Certainly is much more user-friendly than command line.

Looking forward to the Ledger integration.

I love this application, thank you ! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like
Community Terms | Main Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy | Support Tickets | Main Website