Airplanes šŸ›© / Helis/ other Aircraft Thread/ Show and Tell

The F-4 Phantom is my all time favorite jet fighter.

My father was a Marine mechanic on the A-4 Skyhawk and Harrier.

I LOVED Airwolf when I was a kid, seems kinda cheesy now. I binged every single episode on Netflix a few years back. Always like the Hughes 500s the bad guys flew too.

I would love a go in them , faaaast lolā€¦
Or a flight in the red arrowsā€¦

1 Like

Well @Plankton_ETN, hereā€™s a few more stops you can add to the family US tour.

Not the red arrows, but for an aerobatics experience you wont forget (and even have a video to watch in old age to remember) over picturesque Lake Norman NC:

http://acrodynamics.org/

I know the instructor Mikey personally, heā€™s a great guy.

And when you just have to have that jet fix, check out jet warbirds in Santa Fe, NM:

http://www.jetwarbird.com/

They even have a Mig 15!

1 Like

Thatsā€™s great to hear about people coming from all over to attend Sun n Fun and other events. I have yet to go there or Oshkosh, even though members of my club flew to both every year. On the listā€¦

The one place I have been is Kill Devil Hills, NC otherwise known as Kittyhawk, the birthplace of powered flight.

Thereā€™s a runway right next to the monument, so you can fly in truly paying homage to the Wrightā€™s. Thereā€™s also seating at the one end of the runway so people can watch airplanes go in and out. Watch out for deer if you arrive early in the morning though.

Thereā€™s another tour stop for ya @Plankton_ETN. Might need to make a year of it lol.

It is certainly looking like im going to have a looooonnggg holiday lol

1 Like

Probably the MiG 31 Foxhound. It was very much ahead of its time.
Are you asking about fixed wing only? I really love Chinooks.

chinook

1 Like

Any aircraft your heart desires. :+1:

1 Like

If I could buy a small fleet of retired Caribou, fix them up, and bush-pilot food around Indonesia or something, Iā€™d called that my version of living the dream.

1 Like

1 Like

Sounds like a plan to me! :+1:

Plenty of Navy and Marine pilots stayed in the South Pacific after WW2.

Not to mention De Havilland makes a fine aircraft. Regularly ride Dash 8s into the bush. See them on the paved and gravel strips there. Flying a beaver and twin otter are on my bucket list as well.

1 Like

I wonder what these run for on the surplus marketā€¦ Ever look into the process up there?

Had this in the movie thread, figured Iā€™d add it here too.

WW2 Warbirds.
Spitfires, Hurricanes.

1 Like

Indeed, so many good aircraft from that time. As a kid, it was the P-40 Warhawk, Flying Tigers squadron of course.

I grew to appreciate ALL of them as I grew up, axis and allies. Seriously.

The spitfire is such a beauty of a bird. And that Merlin engine! A true joy :joy: to hear.

1 Like

Have you seen ā€œGuy Martinā€™s Spitfireā€?

Worth watching, as is his documentary on the last flying Vulcan bomber.

1 Like

Make your hair curly.most definitely.

1 Like

Iā€™ve found sales listings in the past, but never contacted for a price. Maybe Iā€™ll do that.
Iā€™m betting it will still be costly, even if theyā€™re just selling the stripped airframe.

Even more than this Iā€™d want the DHC5 Buffalo of course, but itā€™ll be a little while before that is retired, haha.

1 Like

This is my dreamā€¦JS1 jonkerā€¦21m spannā€¦
I like silence when enjoying this hobby :slight_smile:

I am also building 7m scale JS1 model :slight_smile:

Its SA product, so maybe if ETN catches there i might buy one with ETN :wink:

2 Likes

US Army Chinook helicopter with duel doors equipped with 50 CAL machine-guns Nothing like a good duel door gunning ship.

2 Likes

Sweet!

Could always fly it down to Machine Gun Fest (?) in Texas. Actually, in Texas, you can also hunt wild pigs from a helicopter, completely legal as theyā€™re considered an invasive nuisance animal there. Only thing I donā€™t like is it doesnā€™t seem like that company recovers the meat. If Iā€™m taking pigs, I want bacon :bacon: and sausage :hotdog: !

2 Likes