Airplanes 🛩 / Helis/ other Aircraft Thread/ Show and Tell

There’s a glider club not far from my house, and I keep saying “one day” as well. Up in the sky, crusing for thermals, only sound being the air rushing around your craft sounds exciting. My only concern is timing the glide ratio to landing, but I know there’s methods to it.

Luckily, none of my powered aircraft have turned into gliders yet. :joy: Few close calls though.

1 Like

I have plans to learn , when the funds are available…

Cant wait

2 Likes

That wont be a problem after ETN moons :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Thanks! :slight_smile:

well trying counts the most! :slight_smile: thats how you learn :wink:

1 Like

2019 it begins 2020 we party like tomorrow’s gonna end … then 2021 life really begins …

Hopefully sooner

2 Likes

2022 we retire :smiley:

2 Likes

Sounds perfect , but the way etn works we could see early 2020

All depends on how quick we get mass adopted …

Helicopter first , … no glider first then heli then light aircraft …

Cant wait ro scare the :poop: out of myself in the air haha

1 Like

Well i dont belive I can get rich before 25years old :smiley: but ETN can surprise :slight_smile:

1 Like

Who knows , i didn’t believe i would have bad hips and back at 40 lol 4 years later life goes on hahahhaa…

You never know whats around the corner…

I believe … we will get scared by the price lol

2 Likes

And :poop: moments you will have, especially when learning to fly.

My “discovery” flight comes to mind, the first of those moments. You sit in the left seat for what can be considered your first lesson, instructor on the right. Typically 1/2 hour. Instructor walks you through preflight and starting, while they perform the takeoff. Then hand the controls back to you for climb out cruise and maneuvering.

I was no stranger to flight controls by then for various reasons and was doing pretty well. He instructed me to enter the traffic pattern.
Downwind (Any moment he’s taking over.)
Base (Surely.)
Final (Ok did he fall asleep?)
I started getting slow and over correcting, short final way off target.

Instructor chimes in, “You gonna land it or are ya gonna crash!?” (Scruff old curmudgeon voice)
“I’m not landing this thing, I’ll crash it!” :poop:
“I have the airplane.” He instantly and expertly righted the airplane and made a beautiful landing.

Some background to add to the :poop: factor, I was learning at a small narrow strip surrounded by tall trees with one end going out over a lake. Seeing the tress rise in the windscreen increased the anxiety of the moment. (This would be “nothing” in the coming years…lol)

Scared me, but the instructor had a good laugh. And I certainly do now too.

1 Like

Hahahha the barstool lol … i would of followed through i think . But then laughed i suppose they have to get kicks too hahah…

Great story thanks for sharing … i will watch out for that one lol

1 Like

While we’re talking building, and light aircraft, I’ve been wanting to build this for a while now:

The Zenith 701 STOL affectionately called the “Sky Jeep”. Just sheet metal and pop rivets, true STOL performer. Around 500 man hours claimed for build time.

http://www.zenithair.net/introduction-701/

Hey @Plankton_ETN, when you’re touring the US after mooning stop in to their Missouri headquarters for the weekend. You and the fam can get rides in them and build a complete tail for one together.

http://www.zenithair.net/builder-workshops/

1 Like

On the list now thanks !!!

That would be fun , kids might het bored but i wouldnt hahahah

1 Like

Some more Barn Toons to get through Hump Day… :grin:

This was originally posted by @Tanwax in the ETN dreams thread, but I thought it was too cool to not include it here.

Is it a boat…sometimes.
Is it a seaplane…sorta?
Is it awesome…O YEA! :+1:

I wonder what licensing would be required for it. It flies, but can’t make it out of ground effect as you can see in one point in the video. But, neither could the spruce goose.

hqdefault%20(1)

1 Like

@sallypinkhair
When :tada::rocket::artificial_satellite::passenger_ship::ferry::earth_asia::new_moon_with_face::full_moon::new_moon_with_face:
I will buy houses all around the sound and I will have you fly me around and we can pick up all the Electards and go to the store for supply’s. chips, candy,and soda pop, (I like Pepsi.)

2 Likes

Wow, thanks for sharing your flying experiences @sallypinkhair! :+1:

Warbirds are definitely on my bucket list, 0 time in one yet. (I don’t count our SAR Cessnas even if they were USAF owned…) I share your excitement in that pic climbing up on a Tiger Moth. Only biplane experience so far was an old Waco, but just as a pax.

Never seen a Jodel stateside, although the AOPA did a nice write up with them in the French Alps and flying clubs.

Most of my time is in Cessnas (150, 152, 172, 182, 206), used to own shares in 2 172s. Had access to many more including a Bonanza and Mooney for just the price of fuel when we still lived in the South. It’s just plain more expensive here in the NE US and the GA community isn’t as open in my area.

All of my tailwheel experience is in a Citabria, some of which includes spin and aerobatics instruction.

Yup, flying a helicopter feels natural and I took to it quickly, hovering is a whole different animal. Control feel and pressures are the exact opposite from an airplane in slow flight and it’s so easy to over control it. :open_mouth:

So @pahini @Nicolas @Plankton_ETN @KarEnTam @sallypinkhair @Tanwax, what are your favorite airplanes?

Feel free to make a list. Favorite to fly, dream to fly? Warbird? Civilian? Aesthetic beauty? Your childhood favorite?

2 Likes

Harrier , phantom my dad was in the r.a.f i grew up around these. So they top my list

Faster the better for me typhoon id like to have a go in that.

Airwolf id still love airwolf hahaha

1 Like

Some have mentioned wanting to commit time to charity service in the ETN dreams thread. Here’s one of many examples where you can combine a passion for aviation with humanitarian service.

http://aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2019/february/06/one-glorious-vision

A traveling eye hospital to the developing nations of the world. Good video.

There are opportunites before mooning of course, and you never know what doors the current experience may open up in the future. I’ve mentioned before, but the majority of my flight time the past few years is with a charity in Western Alaska. Serving Native Alaskan youth for multiple summers before applying to that one made me stick out from other applicants. I wasn’t just another pilot, I had proven that I actually knew and cared for the people in the region. Yes, it is a sacrifice using all of your yearly vacation time while your still “working for the man” for it, but to me it’s certainly worth it.